Re: Who put the Glaze on Weston's Pepper?

robert hudyma (rhudyma@idirect.com)
Wed, 20 Mar 1996 11:34:35 -0500

>I find the effect incredibly beautiful and would never ever remove it (and
>frankly can only imagine it would improve an Edward Weston pepper, tho I
>realize that comment could cause conniptions from here to Point Lobos &
>cast me into outer purgatory)

I agree. The silver patina does give this image a "distinguished" look and does
not detract from the beauty of the image (but I'm beginning to hear a rumble
from Point Lobos).

I do understand the desire (need?) to correct this in a negative if you wanted
to print it once more. I imagine that the density build-up could be significant
and is certainly non-linear. Both of which are bad news when it comes to
printing
negatives which may have been difficult to print in the first place.
Maybe this is where a digital technique could come to the rescue and would not
affect the original image.

Someone else suggested that unwashed silver halides could cause this effect.
This could well be the case. From what I understand E. Weston was not always
meticulous about archival processing. I recall reading a story about a
rush all
night printing effort a few hours before a gallery opening. I'll bet those
prints
made it through the final wash in record time!

Robert Hudyma Email: rhudyma@idirect.com
Semi-Tech Corporation, 131 McNabb St., Markham Ontario, CANADA L3R 5V7