Re: Gums in Museums

Steve Avery ((no email))
Fri, 22 Mar 1996 11:38:24 +1100

Hi all,
Sorry if you see this one twice - I think I botched the last
attempt.

cheers
-steve

------- Forwarded Message

Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1996 15:11:25 -0500 (EST)
From: Judy Seigel <jseigel@panix.com>
To: alt-photo-process@vast.unsw.edu.au
Subject: Re: Gums in Museums

On Thu, 21 Mar 1996, TERRY KING wrote:
[to Philipe Moroux]

> In your note of 22/2 you said that you had visited the V & A in the hope of
> seeing prints by Demachy and Puyo.
>
> You said 'Rien ou presque'
>
> I went yesterday in the hope of seeing the 'presque' but it was more a case of
> 'rien'.

Terry, I told you that in January. Think they would cough up for a
Frenchman and not an American? (OK, maybe they might.)

> Room are knowledgeable, helpful and kind. I was shown the book arising from the
> photography section of the 1862 International Exhibition which contains
> photo-etchings and photoglyphs by Fox Talbot, photogalvanographs by Pretsch,
> there may be a 'z' in there somewhere, and a print on yellow paper by Pouncy,
> printed with ink direct from the negative, presumably an early collotype.

Is that the one where they had to borrow a gum print from the RPS to
illustrate "gum printing"? I suppose not, since gum printing came later
- -- I just had to get that in. (Yes, I'm still miffed.)

> with the viewpoint of the Institute of Contemporary Arts, gets grants quite out
> of proportion to its significance.
>
> I am not knocking the PG but some equity and common sense might be in order.

Terry, when you find the place where "equity and common sense" are in
order, will you post it to the list? We'll all go there.

Cheers,

Judy

------- End of Forwarded Message