Re: Duplicating film

John Rudiak (wizard@laplaza.taos.nm.us)
Thu, 21 Mar 1996 18:28:16 -0700 (MST)

On Wed, 20 Mar 1996, Judy Seigel wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Mar 1996, John Rudiak wrote:
> > Wayde, I would suggest Ilfords Commercial Ortho film for your
> > interpositive and Kodak's Professional Copy film for the negative.
>
> The Kodak Professional Copy film doesn't come larger than 8x10 any more, I
> believe. Or if it does, with a very large minimum order. Last I heard
> Kodak was still making "Commercial" film in 11x14, though no larger, and
> of course at a price. Can you tell us how large the Ilford goes and what
> it costs?
>
> And why not commercial film for pos & neg?
>
> Judy

Judy, the Ilford commercial film is a very fine grained film with the
capability of obtaining a large range of contrasts. I believe in making
a fairly flat positive (keeping all tones on the "straight": part of the
curve) and letting it expand from both ends when the negative is made.

It is available up to 8X10.

The professional copy film is available up to 20X24, which is the size I
buy. It is a bit pricey, but is the only film, to the best of my
knowledge, designed for copying continuous tone originals as it has a
uniquely shaped shoulder in its film curve which enhances highlight
separation, which normally gets crushed when you make copies.

Both films are orthochromatic.

Best,

John