Re: Gluteraldehyde: the name says it all

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Thu, 28 Mar 1996 03:14:54 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 28 Mar 1996, Richard Sullivan wrote:

> Richard Farber said:
>
> > Briefly, the limited studies that have been
> >conducted indicate that these chemicals (including gluteraldehyde) have
> >chemical reactivity and mutagenicity similar to acetaldehyde, malonaldehyde,
> >and formaldehyde.
>
> Gag, cough, moan, gasp. Ok, it explains why my children are so screwed up. I
> quickly read the MSDS and it seemed to be rather benign, but your data seems
> more up-to-date.
>
> Dick S.

Hey fellas, if you would read the data sheet on stuff we use every day --
gasoline, cleaning fluid, laundry soap, rubber cement, rubber cement
thinner, drain cleaner, laundry bleach, roach poison (well I know you
don't have roaches in New Mexico-Arizona, how about ant poison?), varnish,
gin and tonic, tonic, gin, cigarettes, glass cleaner, floor wax,
anti-freeze, shoe polish, and so forth,not to mention rapid fix &
hardener, dektol, metol, acetic acid, selenium, etc. etc. etc. , they'd be
full of the same warnings.

We're not going to bathe in it (except occasionally), eat it, drink it,
sleep with it, wash down the walls with it. If it's for hardening gelatine
for gum printing, we'll use something like A TWO PERCENT SOLUTION for half
an hour or so once or twice a year. If it's for carbon printing it will be
used only by high-end photographers, ie., those who can do carbon
printing, and they're probably half-tanned already & it won't affect them.
So, will you lay off!!!?????

Judy