Re: Gum prints with the enlarger

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Thu, 18 Apr 1996 23:16:23 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 19 Apr 1996, Risa S. Horowitz wrote:

> I'd be willing to spend a decade figuring the darned technique out for
> myself before paying such a fee to a private individual for holding his
> silly trade secret. I can't say it outright, but ($#(*# that!!!!!!!!!!!

Risa, I have to disagree and perhaps if you think about it from a
different angle you'll at least soften your indignation. Which of us has
made a once in a 200-year discovery/invention or whatever you want to call
it, having worked on it perhaps half a lifetime and then given it freely
to the world. As far as I know, Mike Ware comes closest, with 3 or more
processes that he devised and then gave to the world, but (with all due
respect and admiration, Mike) these are improved versions or variants of
previously extant &/or viable (more or less, depending on yr point of view
of course) processes. If this man's claims are true, I believe the
discovery would be of a different order. What makes me skeptical is that
it has never been demonstrated (that I know of).

Then consider the fact that once it's given to one other person, it is,
in effect, given to the world. Perhaps he's not going about this in the
most politic or public-relations-wise way, but the principle I think is
valid enough. I mean this would be something of quite a different
magnitude from even our best photographer's trick of drying film in the
salad spinner.

And oh yes. Are you so sure that after a decade you'd have it? Lots of
people have tried that long & not.

Risa, relent!

Judy