Re:Photogravure

biskops@algonet.se
Fri, 19 Apr 1996 10:02:50 +0100

on thursday, 18 apr 1996 David Morrisch wrote:

>I'm intrigued by the use of copy toner as a resist. How do you adhere it
>to the plate? Heat? Fumes? Have you thought of trying it *OVER* the dried
>gelatine resist? That technique works very well with rosin, believe it or
>not.

> The copytonerpowder is adhere by using of a burnischer, heat. The powder
>has a meltingpoint of 175 degres celsius. It is more easy to use than
>asphaltpowder.
I have try laying it * over * the gealtine also. It works well but gives
problem if you have a lot of highlightareas in the picture.Then using
copymachinepowder it is important that the plate is very clean. The resist
on the plate should be very fine and could have a coverage around 90 % And
during
the etching we use 45,43,41,39 baum=E9 and dont agitate the plate during the
etching. To remove the resist after etching you use the burnisher again and
the powder disapears.The rosin gives bigger etchingpoints in the plate and
you lose sharpness and details. But it is nice, I have seen good work with
what also.
And always it is the picture which are important, for me this testing with
differents methods has give me more easyprinting plates. For me it is good
if it take about 5 - 10 minutes to inking and print a plate. I dont like to
stand with a plate for 40 minutse which I heard about from some printers in
Tampa.
Thanks for Reply.

Lasse Mellberg
Biskops Arn=F6