Re: I can't believe this "discussion"

Steve Avery (stevea@sedal.usyd.edu.AU)
Mon, 22 Apr 1996 16:13:18 +1000

Hi all,
This message from Claude was bounced (the listproc thought it had seen
it before). Please direct personal responses to him.

cheers
-steve

---------------------<included message follows>--------------------
On Mon, 22 Apr 1996, Judy Seigel wrote:

> Date: Mon, 22 Apr 96 11:50:45 +1000
> From: Judy Seigel <jseigel@panix.com>
> To: Multiple recipients of list <alt-photo-process@cse.unsw.edu.au>
> Subject: I can't believe this "discussion"
>

> Well thanks to Klaus & Luis for jumping into this discussion with a
> dose of reality, especially since the new listproc seems to hate me,
> really hate me, because my messages are taking 24+ hours to arrive.
> But whenever this truth bursts upon -- OK, I won't say the oblivious,
> because that would be name-calling, I'll say the, um, unrealistic -- I
> feel compelled to point out 3 obvious facts, before drawing my
> contributions on this silly topic to a close:
>
> 1. If an independent researcher knew in advance that his or her
> discoveries, if any, were slated to become instant "free knowledge,"
> it is highly unlikely that the discoveries would be pursued in the
> first place. Few would or *could* devote a lifetime of labor with no
> expectation of recompense. (How many major discoveries have been made
> by Rockefellers?)

Researchers face this every day. They are working for salaries and do
not profit directly from their research. Corporations, governments, they
profit. Their motivation is one more personal.

The Rockefeller's have endowed a _very_ nice foundation which endows
others to act in their place.

> 2. Aside from the leap in magnitude from "gum bichromate by enlarger"
> to "the cure for Aids," which is like comparing a flea bite to the
> collision of galaxies, rest assured that whoever does discover the
> "cure for AIDS" will be handsomely enriched -- and that is an
> understatement of galactal proportions. I know well a few sufferers
> from AIDS and can attest that such ameliorations as exist so far are
> *VERY* well recompensed to the discoverers, the manufacturers, and
> their intermediaries, the doctors.

_Both_ anologies I used are correct. You haven't made a case against
them.

> 3. In no society, even the most pathologically utopian, is the wish to
> be paid for labor considered "greed".

What is _just _ compensation and _who_ should be compensated? The
discoverer or his employer/master?

And why does my simple statement, "Knowledge should be free." bother you
so much?

Claude Seymour