Re: digital negatives for cyanotype

Pekka Nikrus (pnikrus@uiah.fi)
Mon, 22 Apr 1996 09:45:33 +0300 (EET DST)

On Sun, 21 Apr 1996, Beakman wrote:

> Could you elaborate on the "loosing too much tones in the highlights"
> part. I am making digital negs (for Pt/Pd) on an AGFA imagestter --
> output at 2400 dpi. However, my files are 1200 dpi diffusion dithered.
>
> David Fokos

The setter I worked with wasn't able to print dithered images any
'tighter' than 900 dpi. And these were changed for their tonal curve so
that what should be white in the picture was set to about 25% black and
the darkest parts went up to about 95%. Everything between 0-25% came out
on the film totaly black, no dots. (this didn't have anything to do with
developing of the film)

The curve went from 25 (in0 out25) quite steep up to 35 (in10 out35) and
from there via 50% (in50 out50) to abiut 75-80 (in75 out80) and from
there to 95 (in100 out95). These aren't exact values but in the general
this was how I got OK negatives.

Perhaps the setter wasn't calibrated right but at 1200dpi output it
looked totally different (more correct), but as I said the dot was too big.

By the way. Do all dithering routines mess up at 49,50 and51%? In
photoshop dithering makes an anoying messy line at these tones, which
looks stupid on for instance faces or bodys with lots of soft tones.

_PEKKA NIKRUS__<pnikrus@uiah.fi>________UNIVERSITY OF ART AND DESIGN HELSINKI
http://www.polycon.fi/ART/pekka/ DEPARTMENT OF PHOTOGRAPHY

"Everybody's searching for something they say, I get my kicks on the way"