Re: Jose Ortiz E.

Peter Marshall (petermarshall@cix.compulink.co.uk)
Mon, 22 Apr 96 18:20 BST-1

<<
Touuuche'! Being responsible for a State-controlled auto and airplane
manufacturing industry (with 25,000 employees) under General Franco's
regime is likely to give you a label indeed. I am convinced that this is
why Gernsheim ignored him completely in his _History...._ He sure did know
about Echague as I talked to him about Echague during a dinner in Arles,
France, just a couple of days before going to Madrid to meet Echague, ca.
late 70s. >>

I think that being a Pictorialist at a time that Gernsheim thought was many
years too late was probably more important. Gernsheim felt he had been
pretty shabbily treated by the RPS - as you no doubt know - because of its
pictorialist emphasis. This must have confirmed his already low regard for
latter-day Pictorialism.

Gernsheim of course is not alone - I've just checked through the several
other histories I have and he is not mentioned. Come to that if I ever get
round to writing one he probably won't be either unless the publisher lets
me run to several volumes!

On Fresson, UK readers probably already know that there is currently an
exhibition of Fresson prints in the Photographers Gallery. The colour in
some is nice, although the work isn't to my taste, and being displayed
behind glass loses much of the surface quality of the print. Rives by
Dolores Marat consists of largely unsharp and grainy pictures taken mainly
on the Paris Metro and other poorly lit places. Occasionally they have a
dream (or nightmarish) quality. They actually look better in the book than
on the gallery wall (not unusual in photography.)

Peter Marshall

Family Album/Gay Pride - http://www.dragonfire.net/~gallery/index.html
Also on Fixing Shadows: ----------- http://fermi.clas.virginia.edu/~ds8s
Future Press and elsewhere... E-Mail: petermarshall@cix.compulink.co.uk