Re: Mylar as base for carbon tissue

Carson Graves x1507 3NE (carson@zama.HQ.ileaf.com)
Wed, 24 Apr 96 08:53:31 EDT

s carl king <sanking@hubcap.clemson.edu> writes:

> >Carson Graves wrtoe:
>
> > I've adhered both gravure resist (from Autotype) and carbon tissue
> > (from where ever Dr. Green got it) to mylar with no problems. It is
> > a useful way to proof exposures and to make density readings (hard
> > to read the transmission density through a copper plate). Once
> > dry, I found the adhesion of the pigment/gelatin to the mylar to
> > be tenacious.
> >

> Carson,
>
> I presume the pigment/gelatin adhered to the mylar would consist
> of hardened gelatin?
>

> Sandy King

I think the answer is yes (assuming I am reading the question correctly).

I interpreted your original problem as trying to adhere an exposed
gelatin carbon tissue to mylar (instead of paper or other base
material) and then developing it on the mylar. That, at least was what
I was doing in my description above. I would occasionally get frilling
and edges peeling off, but generally, the adhesion was good, and once
the developed pigment/gelatin was dry, it was a hard and not easily
removed layer. As I said, this was with commercially prepared gravure
resist and carbon tissue, so I have no idea what effect the materials
used in "home brew" tissue might have.

Please let me know if I haven't understood or answered your question yet.

Carson graves
carson@ileaf.com