Re: Kallitypes etc

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Fri, 26 Apr 1996 15:57:49 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 27 Apr 1996, Peter Marshall wrote:

> I think they may also be/have been commercial considerations which might
> have led any print that could possibly be a platinum print to be described
> as one.

In an early "Lab Notes," some 10 or more years ago, Richard Sullivan
adduces this as explanation for fact that so few "kallitypes" appear at
auction today, tho photo magazines of a certain period were awash with
kallitype formulas.

Many/most of those formulas had lots more ingredients than we use today
and it has occurred to me to wonder if maybe some of them had residual,
anti-archival effects. I tried to make one such formula once, BTW, about 10
ingredients, mixing quite carefully, but the moment I added the silver
nitrate, it entirely precipitated out. I went back to the new.

Judy