Re: Re: Enlarged negative methodology

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Tue, 30 Apr 1996 00:12:51 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 30 Apr 1996 tomf2468@usa.pipeline.com wrote:
> The biggest problem? I
> can only get HP5+ up to 11x14, and I would love some 16x20. Of course,
> then I would want a 16x20 camera, new lenses, .........

Hi Tom, your method adds yet another fillip. Is 11 by 14 HP5+ hard to get?
Do you have to buy enormous amounts? Does tray developing in total
darkness make you crazy? I never heard, BTW, of anyone recommending dilute
paper developer for regular camera film -- only for graphic arts film.

Speaking of which -- Agfa N31 P, as described by Klaus Pollmeier, is
available in US from Palladio and from Arkin Medo, presumably other Agfa
dealers (Arkin is 212/686-8805). The size I use is *slightly* larger
than the 11x14, that is 30 by 40 centimeters, or about 12 by 15 1/2
inches. It used to come 16 by 20 and in rolls, Agfa has waffled on
manufacture, whether other sizes can still be had in this country I don't
know.

And speaking of N31P, Klaus says "special" blue & red filters to control
contrast. Is that dedicated filters? Or would variable contrast filters
work? Do you get more control than by exposure and development (which
seems to work pretty well, at least for my needs)? I'll add that Agfa in
this country didn't have a clue about variable contrast by filter -- but
then they seem fairly clueless (& after the day's work of getting thru to
them on the phone, you are too!) The (very scant) data sheet in the box
doesn't mention it either.

Along in here someone said he would contact from a print for a large
negative. Me too. But be aware, there's always a fuzz factor from a
print, which keeping the whole deal in film avoids.

Judy