Re: Enlarged negative methodology

tomf2468@usa.pipeline.com
Tue, 30 Apr 1996 10:49:24 -0400

On Tue, Apr 30, 1996 2:14:10 PM, Judy Seigel wrote:

>On Tue, 30 Apr 1996 tomf2468@usa.pipeline.com wrote:
>> The biggest problem? I
>> can only get HP5+ up to 11x14, and I would love some 16x20. Of course,
>> then I would want a 16x20 camera, new lenses, .........
>
>Hi Tom, your method adds yet another fillip. Is 11 by 14 HP5+ hard to get?

>Do you have to buy enormous amounts? Does tray developing in total
>darkness make you crazy? I never heard, BTW, of anyone recommending dilute

>paper developer for regular camera film -- only for graphic arts film.
>
>Speaking of which -- Agfa N31 P, as described by Klaus Pollmeier, is
>available in US from Palladio and from Arkin Medo, presumably other Agfa
>dealers (Arkin is 212/686-8805). The size I use is *slightly* larger
>than the 11x14, that is 30 by 40 centimeters, or about 12 by 15 1/2
>inches. It used to come 16 by 20 and in rolls, Agfa has waffled on
>manufacture, whether other sizes can still be had in this country I don't

>know.
>
>And speaking of N31P, Klaus says "special" blue & red filters to control
>contrast. <CLIP> The (very scant) data sheet in the box
>doesn't mention it either.
<CLIP>
>Judy

Hello, 11x14 HP5+ and FP-4 (as well as 12x20 and 7x17) are available from
Samy's Camera via mail order (1-800-321-4SAM)
(http://net101.com/samyscamera). 11x14 is $98.73US for a box of 25 sheets.
I "believe" I got the use of diluted paper developers in an article by the
"Beyond the Zone System" guy???? He was using it to make enlarged negs onto
T-Max 100 (only available to 8x10). But that is old memory, may not be
correct. Last I new, N31P was only available here in the 12x15.5 inch
size. I have tried N31P, it seemed more like a graphic arts film. Quite
high in contrast to begin with, and a lot of static. I share my darkroom
with the washer and (EVIL) drier! Dust is my enemy. HP-5+ seems a lot
less likely to attract it than the graphic arts films, Can't explain that,
just seems to be true. As for going crazy tray developing in the
dark....The doctor says if I stop twitching, they will let me out some day
to see the sunlight.

tomf2468@usa.pipeline.com (Tom Ferguson)