Re: Kallitype archivality -Reply -Reply

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Wed, 1 May 1996 01:55:34 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 30 Apr 1996, Kevin Won wrote:

> My Kallitypes that show degration to the edges were made the same time as
> others that don't show the same image degration. The ones that do show
> bleaching from the edges are *very* bleached to 1 cm. I suspect that it
> somehow got very contaminated. But these images were processed identical to
> others which show no degration whatsoever, leading me to the belief that
> *all* the images were processed correctly, with good chemestry (fresh
> ferric oxilate), but some of them were subsequently contaminated
> post-process. I don't recall any major contamination of any of these

I get the impression that the degradation is rather even in a sort of
ribbon around the edge -- if so, it's very unlikely to be something
picked up from a drymount press, which would be in blotches and blobs.
When you see a more-or-less even edge-disintegration on old photos it
tends to be from the mat or frame -- bad materials, or moisture, or
something of that order. Or I guess I should add, since I am not a
conservation maven -- that's always been my assumption....

Judy