Blue toning silver prints

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Wed, 1 May 1996 01:43:04 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 30 Apr 1996, Carson Graves x1507 3NE wrote:
> Edwal and Berg both market iron blue toners, though I've always preferred
> to mix my own. Blue toner formulas are as numerous and varied as
> photographers.

Indeed. Here's another .........

For bluetoning a silver print, cyanotype printers can use their A & B
solution to make a good toner very easily.

Mix 10 cc of solution A (the ferric ammonium citrate) and 10 cc solution
B (the potassium ferricyanide) in 20 ounces of water.(You don't like
mixing measures? Use 600 cc water, more or less, formula is very flexible.)

Stir.

Add 70 cc of 28% acetic acid.

Soak your silver print in water til it softens, rock gently in the toning
bath til you like the color. A fully toned print can be modified in 1
tsp borax/liter water (20-mule team OK), which turns the blue brown.
Dashing into rinse water at right moment gives split tones -- beige
highlights, blue shadows. Wash 5 min.

Toner goes off quickly. Use a small amount at a time.

Judy