RE: Paris get-together / bergerotype of charlatanotype

Philippe MOROUX (Philippe_Moroux@msn.com)
Wed, 8 May 96 09:36:27 UT

Keith wrote:

> Dear Tourists,
> What about the Paris meeting?
> What about this Belgian guy with the Gum Enlarger Secret?
> What about our future?
> Henk

Niemand durft nog over te spreken!

Paris meeting was great, to my point of view.

Berger's mystery stays a mystery.
By coming to Paris I was before all very curious of discovering the visage of
a lot of persons I had been writing to for more than a year. But I must
confess that I was also curious of another important thing: the unveiling of
Mister Berger's secret.
Alas! After 15 minutes of demonstration I was not convinced.
The logic of Philippe Berger's demonstration was not so logical:

"J'ai la preuve que c'est vrai !" he said
Then he added:
"Quand on tire un inter-negatif 30x40 et qu'on le tire on fait toujours du
30x40, or, si vous regardez cette photo la, celle-la, celle-la et celle la,
elle n'ont pas les memes dimensions. Vous ne croyez pas que je me serais amuse
aujourd'hui, a faire 3 internegatifs pour vous les montrer, du format de
l'epreuve. Celle-la, celle-la, celle la, n'ont pas les memes dimensions. Je
suis sadique mais je suis faineant, donc je n'ai pas fait 3 internegatifs,
j'ai simplement augmente de quelques centimetres la colonne de mon
agrandisseur. Je savais que l'on me poserait la question et que l'on me
croirait pas, je crois que c'est la meilleure reponse.

Which could be roughly translated as:

"I can prove you it is true! " he said.
And then he added:
"When someone makes a 30x40 cm contact negative he always prints 30x40, but if
you look at this photograph, this one, this one and that one, they have not
the same dimensions. You don't believe I would have had fun to make three
different negatives, each one of the format of the print. This one, this one,
that one do not have the same dimension. I am sadistic but also lazy,
therefore I did not made 3 negatives, I simply increase the height of my
enlarger of a few centimeters. I knew you would ask me the question and you
would not believe me, I think it is the best answer."

Sorry Mister Berger, it is not an evidence. Buying your process or book is
likely to be the luck of the draw.

Note:
To unveil his research Philippe Berger asked us to buy the totality of the 30
books he brought with him. That means 30 X 2.000 = 60.000 Belgian Francs (this
is 2584 dollars).

Our future, Thijs:
Luis said: no graphical film anymore, everything on the computer.
Grafische films zijn dood, lang leve de Iris printer !

Philippe

Philippe Moroux
Academie des Beaux Arts St. Joost
aux Pays-Bas