Printing on Fabric

Flesch Ba'lint (100263.262@CompuServe.COM)
12 May 96 10:12:10 EDT

>Date: Thu, 09 May 1996 17:52:32 +0000 (GMT)
>From: Mac Cosgrove-Davies <MCOSGROVEDAVIES@worldbank.org>
>Subject: Printing on Fabric
>Can anyone point me in the right direction for details on how
>to make a photographic print on fabric. I have had limited
>success with cyanotype (and could use some pointers here), but
>also would like to know about other options.

In the book of
Parzer-Muehlbacher: Photograpische Unterhaltungsbuch, Berlin 1920.
there are a lot of processes for several base material.
Include fabric, silk and ivory ;-) (264-267 pp).

The processes for fabric:
silver POP (with Iceland moos as a sizing material :-)), cyanotype,
kallitype, and a gelatine layer to hold other silver emulsions. All with
detailed descriptions.

The kallitype type receipt (for silk and linen):

Solution I. green ferric ammonium citrate 1 unit
destillated water 8 unit

Solution II. citric acid (cristal form) 1 unit
hot destillated water 4 unit

Solution III. silver nitrate 1 unit
hot destillated water 4 unit

Mix: II to I and after III. Cover with a camelhair brush on a glass plate.
After exposition wash out the superflous silvernitrate in water, and after
a weak potassiumtiosulphate bath, washing (hot water) etc., etc.(details)

The cyanotype (for cotton and linen)

Solution I. potassium ferricyanide 3 g
water 240 g

Solution II. ferric ammonium citrate 3.5 g
water 240 g

Mixing both and soaking the fabric for 6 min. Drying, exp., etc...
(details)

(Sorry for the mistakes of quick German/English tanslation)

Balint Flesch