Alkaline paper and grain

Richard Sullivan (richsul@roadrunner.com)
Wed, 15 May 1996 03:28:42 -0600

Klaus Polmeir writes:

>obviously I was on the wrong track for a while, because I thought that alkaline
>papers always are unsuitable for platinum. But then - what else is the trouble
>maker in those papers that give grainy prints? I am working with both pt
>versions - the developing-out and the printing-out, and get more trouble with
>the first. Do we really have to test all papers or can some papers be excluded
>because of a certain ingredient (if we knew it)?

and especially:

> But then - what else is the trouble
>maker in those papers that give grainy prints?

Developer! I'm also working on some new developers using some new materials
that I have heretofore not seen referenced as a developer. I am still
undecided whether or not I will publish the ingredients or not. I'm not
being cagey as I am in business and it's my livlihood. I have noted that
some formulations of developers can use a lot of No 2 and produce little
grain. I have still to unpack my reflecting densitomter and my stepwedges
just arrived. My move from LA is still having its effects of a lot of
"whereisitat?", and whydoesntitwork?"

Anyone using any unusual developers for pt and pd? A lot of things work,
like citric acid for instance.

Dick S.
!
!