Re: Alkaline paper and grain

John Rudiak (wizard@laplaza.taos.nm.us)
Tue, 14 May 1996 20:17:27 -0600 (MDT)

On Tue, 14 May 1996, Richard Sullivan wrote:

> Anyone using any unusual developers for pt and pd? A lot of things work,
> like citric acid for instance.
>

> Dick S.
> !
> !
>
> Dick Sullivan
> Bostick & Sullivan
> Santa Fe, New mexico

Dick, I use the cold developer (I believe this relates to working
temperature) listed in L>P> Clercs second edition of "Photography, Theory
and Practice".

140 gm. Potassium Oxalate

20 gm Sodium Phosphate, dibasic

5 gm. Oxalic Acid.

into a liter of Distilled water. Dilute 1:1 to use. Development is not
instantaneous, but takes about 1 minute. Usable temperature range seems
to be @ 60 to 75 degrees F. Is it possible that the more dilute, slower
working developers are less grainy? I haven't made a direct comparison
to the old saturated solution of Potassium Oxalate, as I have been using
this developer for many years, and generally don't have the grain
problems using peroxide in the sensitizer.

Anyone else?

John