Re: Paris: Was: Re: Video

Luis Nadeau (awef6t@mi.net)
Fri, 17 May 1996 04:39:28 -0300

Judy wrote:

>Thanks to Luis for fascinating report, with so many good details.
>
>On Wed, 15 May 1996, Luis Nadeau wrote:

Well, I did NOT write the following part of the message. It came from the
fellow who originated the message I guess:
-------------
>> >Judy. You seem to be at a big University. Is there a video group
>>there that
>> >could take a PAL original bring it up on a digital non-linear editing system
>> >and then make direct NTSC copies? Anyone else with this capacity? Doing
-------------
>I'm embarrassed that I forgot to reply to that (I told you my short-term
>memory was going) -- no, I'm at an *art school* -- Pratt in Brooklyn. We
>have a film-video department, which might or might not have that capacity.
..
>> Part "deux" of the meeting was left to two major French organizations
>> seriously involved with Alt-photo processes, i.e., APA (Association pour la
>> Photographie Ancienne et ses techniques) and Helios. They represent about
>> 120 members.
>
>I am dejected and chagrinned that we don't have an APA on this continent.
>What's our problem?

There *was* one, very briefly mentioned here on this list in the past: The
New Pictorialist Society. I received a letter from them a few months ago,
talking about dissolving their not-for-profit organization.

It had a Newletter, sporadically published, and good intentions, with a
travelling portfolio... It had a raison d'etre when info about alt-photo
processes was difficult to obtain. Now, with the Internet and this list,
there is no way such an organization could compete at least in North
America where email is available for anywhere between nothing and a few
dollars a month, with huge amounts of expertise available within hours from
posting a message...

>> There was Philippe Berger from Belgium, who has revived the Sury process,
>> documented in my Encyclopedia, p. 440. To summarize this, I'll give myself
>
>Oh dear, pas avant le process junky... Is this terribly difficult? Is it
>beautiful?

It's probably 10 to 100 times less difficult than carbon transfer, which he
was never able to produce. His results have too much contrast for my taste
but the demo was very impressive. You look at a bright white sheet with a
very faint ghost image on it. Then, with gloves on (it's a bit messy) you
pour some pastel powder on it and start rubbing it very gently and
instantly the image appears. Someone with a lot of skills could probably
produce something very nice. It's also very exclusive. The powdering
operation can be done under bright sunlight.

>but at this point I'm confused, should I send this to Luis? Where are you
>Luis?

Still in Paris. Soon, my heart will be here but the rest of my anatomy will
be back in Canada:-( for a while...

Luis Nadeau