Re: Traffic Volume

Peter Marshall (petermarshall@cix.compulink.co.uk)
Fri, 17 May 96 18:04 BST-1

Just a couple of comments on Dimitri's message which I think perhaps over
complicates things, though containing much sensible advice.

1. 9600 is a perfectly adequate speed for the amount of traffic on this list
so long as you can get local call access. (Everyone in the UK I think can).
Obviously if you need a new modem it makes sense to go for the fastest you
can afford. I occasionally connect at 2400 and it isn't impossibly slow.

ISDN would be an extremely expensive solution for those of us in the UK and
probably unnecessarily expensive if not so exorbitant elsewhere.

2. Subject lines as suggested are essential _AND_ should only (BUT ALWAYS)
be changed if the subject changes.

3. If people are reading the digest it is helpful to include at least your
e-mail address in your signature. However we are a part of a wider usenet
culture of which signatures are an important part, so don't lets make people
who do use them feel guilty. If you have one that is more than half a dozen
lines perhaps you might trim it a bit?

Finally can I reinforce his suggestion that we avoid unnecessary quoting.

Peter Marshall

Family Album/Gay Pride - http://www.dragonfire.net/~gallery/index.html
Also on Fixing Shadows: ----------- http://fermi.clas.virginia.edu/~ds8s
Future Press and elsewhere... E-Mail: petermarshall@cix.compulink.co.uk