Re: Re. Gums w/k paper

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Sat, 18 May 1996 13:09:09 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 17 May 1996 pixie@accent.net wrote:

> To Judy, thank's for welcoming me. My syntaxic
> sentence may sometimes look bizarre, that's beceause i'm a francophone.
> Down to business, i'm using BFK Reeves simply. I tried a more expensive
> paper in the past more " stiff" and heavy but it stain. I'm pretty happy
> with the BFK 22x28. And "a propos" to the non-beleivers my images are
> pretty sharp for that process.

Hi Pixie,

Right!!!!!

I have sworn not to say ever again "read the archive," unless someone is
holding a gun at my head, so I won't say it now absent the gun, but I have
mentioned a few times on this list and elsewhere that gum can be as sharp
as you please. Not as sharp as platinum on smooth paper perhaps, but sharp
as anyone needs. The unsharp gum grew up from oversizing paper with
gelatine which makes strongly pigmented coats flake off so you need a lot
of very thin coats, and when you re-register them it fuzzes up. In
addition, to make the re-registering easier people began using paper with
texture like treebark or tractor treads, and that ruins sharp, too.

Well, this may not be historic fact copied from Eder & company. It's my
own deduction based on otherwise inexplicable developments & observation
tells me it's pretty close. BFK, by the way, is excellent for gum, and a
good compromise -- got enough body to stand up, but only moderate texture.

Do you add a size? What kind? Do you do many coats?

I have also said, by the way, that BFK will do one-coat gum with selected
pigment-gum combinations with little or no staining with no added size.
People don't listen. So let 'em size paper.

Judy