Platine and No 2. grain

Richard Sullivan (richsul@roadrunner.com)
Wed, 22 May 1996 01:51:50 -0600

Kerik Kouklis writes:
> Platine does not like Ferric
>Oxalate No. 2 (with the potassium chlorate restrainer). Everyone I
>know who has tried it has ended up with horrible grain or mottling,
>even with a teeny-weeny bit of No. 2. I've boosted contrast by
>adding hydrogen peroxide to the sensitzer and/or developer, which
>works well to a point.

I've done some brief experiments using ferric nitrate intead of potassium
chlorate. Things being as subjective as they are, it appears to boost
contrast without grain. HOWEVER, I was up to 3 grams of ferric nitrate per
25 mls of ferric oxalate. I haven't run any curves or wedges yet so this is
all quite subjective as to contrast so far. I think more than 3 grams could
be needed, but ferric nitrate is cheap and highly soluble. I've got so much
on my plate, right now, I'd be curious if anyone else can follow up and
confirm this.

> I've read in the archives (yes, I do
>read the archives, Judy!) that some people find it less than
>"honorable" to double coat a platinum print.

We here at B&S believe it to be quite honorable to double coat!

Dick S.

~~
~
Dick Sullivan