Re: Copy of: Message from Internet

Peter Marshall (petermarshall@cix.compulink.co.uk)
Thu, 23 May 96 07:29 BST-1

Terry King

<< These are techniques that I developed after Peter Marshall's and my first
explorations of pt/pd printing some years ago, but even then I do not
remember us concluding that double coating was the best way. That would go
right againstmy cost effectiveness programming and give me pains in my
diodes. >>

It's called age Terry. I have the notes (disorganised though they are) and
the samples.

It wasn't the conclusion I wanted either. But inescapable from the
experiments. The print you gave me back recently was double coated print -
as also the ones in the 150 years show. My evalution of the results was that
the double coating adds a richness in the shadow areas that is just not
quiate there in the single coated prints - though they may oatherwise be
fine prints. For subjects where the mid-tones are the really important
aspect there may be little difference.

This was another reason for moving to machine coated paper - as well as
cutting hassle it cut costs, though the virtually zero wastage is the main
factor here. I never got hand coating to the level wehre I could (double)
coat 10 sheets and consistently get 10 useable prints.

It is interesting to see the quite different volumes that seem to be used to
coat paper - which may go some way to explaining the differences some of us
have over single/double coating. The amounts I used are similar to the
figures Terry gives.

Peter Marshall

Family Album/Gay Pride - http://www.dragonfire.net/~gallery/index.html
Also on Fixing Shadows: ----------- http://fermi.clas.virginia.edu/~ds8s