Copy of: Message from Internet

TERRY KING (101522.2625@CompuServe.COM)
22 May 96 04:30:59 EDT

---------- Forwarded Message ----------

From: TERRY KING, 101522,2625
TO: John Rudiak, INTERNET:wizard@laplaza.taos.nm.us
DATE: 22/05/96 09:10

RE: Copy of: Message from Internet

John

You wrote

> It seems evident that there is no one way for things to work when human
> beings are doing the work.

Hear, hear ! And the corollary is that there is usually no one right way of
doing it.

>, I use two, air dry until the coating appears not
> blotchy, than heat dry in a cabinet to keep oxalate particle from
> floating around in my darkroom.

I blow dry to stop the sensitiser sinking too far into the paper.

> Terry, is that 1 ml. of sensitizer, or 1ml. of platinum solution to which
> you add 1ml. of oxalate? I thought I was using near the minimum
> spreadable amount to evenly coat, and can't seem to get less that 2ml. to
> coat evenly on any paper I have tried. Also D-max seems to suffer.

No, that is one ml of sensitiser on sized hot pressed paper. The trick is
getting the sensitiser to sit where you want it to by a combination of drying
and humidification techniques which I went into during the 'blow your socks off
debate'. Eddie Ephraums says that he can do it in 0.5 ml. I get a full range of
tones. There is a 20 x 16 in the Paris video that may give an indication. One of
the prints on the video accommodates a brightness range of six and a half stops
and another has eight stops.

These are techniques that I developed after Peter Marshall's and my first
explorations of pt/pd printing some years ago, but even then I do not remember
us concluding that double coating was the best way. That would go right against
my cost effectiveness programming and give me pains in my diodes.

> Make your negatives the right way.

Yes, the secret is in the negative.

Terry King