Re: Machine Coated Platinum (Palladio) and the Aesthetics of Paper

Peter Marshall (petermarshall@cix.compulink.co.uk)
Fri, 24 May 96 07:30 BST-1

Ron

I only tested the Palladio paper with negs that I developed specially for
use in platinum printing, so the peroxide gave the degree of control I
needed. For more than slight changes in contrast I would have intensified or
reduced the neg suitably. I found this the best approach with hand coating
also. Obviously you cannot do this for your purposes.

Costing is tricky. Certainly if you cost your time into the equation
Palladio may work out cheaper. Despite Terry's comments I don't believe I
would ever get to the consistency with hand coating that Palladio gives,
where you can work with zero waste (making good use of the test strips
provided of course) and this also reduces any cost difference. It also makes
a big difference to cost if you are able to buy chemicals for hand coating
in large quantities.

Otherwise I'd agree with everything you say so well.

Peter Marshall

Pictures on Fixing Shadows: ----------- http://fermi.clas.virginia.edu/~ds8s
Future Press and elsewhere... E-Mail: petermarshall@cix.compulink.co.uk