Re: Cyan/uffers/paper.

Peter Marshall (petermarshall@cix.compulink.co.uk)
Fri, 24 May 96 07:30 BST-1

> Peter,
>
> I have heard (& read) that if a Cyanotype fades you can place it in the
> dark for awhile and it will regain its color. Is this true? Or only
slightly
> true (more recent prints will come back, but old ones will not)?

There may be some truth in this. When I got the samples back from testing
they had been in the dark sometime I imagine, certainly away from intense
light, probably in a drawer for several weeks or months before being posted
back to me.

This might account for the difference between my visual estimation of the
samples and the comments of the actual tester.

However the cyanotype sample was still noticeably faded. So if it is true
that there is some regaining of colour it would not appear to be anything
like complete.

However, my observations are based on the very limited sample of one
cyanotype print (it would cost to have more tested - this was done free) so
perhaps someone else has carried out more tests - or works somewhere with
the equipment to do more accelerated ageing tests.

Peter Marshall

Pictures on Fixing Shadows: ----------- http://fermi.clas.virginia.edu/~ds8s
Future Press and elsewhere... E-Mail: petermarshall@cix.compulink.co.uk