Copy of: Re: Copy of: Re: Copy of: Pt negs and coats & brightness range

TERRY KING (101522.2625@CompuServe.COM)
24 May 96 09:49:04 EDT

---------- Forwarded Message ----------

From: TERRY KING, 101522,2625
TO: Peter Marshall, INTERNET:petermarshall@cix.compulink.co.uk
DATE: 24/05/96 14:40

RE: Copy of: Re: Copy of: Re: Copy of: Pt negs and coats & brightness range

Peter

> Terry I still know you are wrong and if you actually go and do it you will
> see that you are wrong (or that you are in urgent need of a visit to the
> opticians.) Unless you restrict yourself to very limited subject matter
> there is always detail in either or both shadows or highlights that you can
> see but will not be recorded on film.

That is demonstrably false. Remember 'at the same time'.

The eye may not instantaneously have a
> particularly long scale (I'm not sure on this), but certainly it can look
> into shadows and adjust to build up the 'picture'. So we can and do see
> the highlights and the shadows you talk about with ease.

What I said was that we cannot perceive detail in the shadows and in the
highlights at the same time. I have a strange feeling that that is a truism.

> > This inability of the photographic process is indeed one of the basics that
> one has to teach in learning to photograph in black and white.

The inability is that of the paper to accept a wide range of tones from the
negative. That is what the zone system is all about. To a great extent self
masking obviates that difficulty. You are talking about photography using silver
gelatine paper.

It is also
> enshrined in the zone system where you have to learn to judge 'significant
> shadow detail'.

When one is working with processes where the paper will accept all the stages on
the step wedge, such as carbon or platinum, the zone system is largely
irrelevant.

> Adams in one of his books was talking about negatives. I imagine you still
> use them. Of course you will get exactly the same sort of message (but with
> more math(s)) from any book on sensitrometry.

Adams is talking about negatives that have to be adjusted to take account of the
limitations of silver gelatine paper. I have negatives that show detail from
0.15 to 2.8 and contact carbon and platinum prints made from them showing detail
across that range, whereas the ideal negative for a silver gelatine print has a
range of about 0.9, hence the zone system.

> In a monochrome print we may discern a hundred different shades of grey -
> but these could be between densities of 0.3 and 1.3 or between 0.05 and 1.9
> and the results would visually be quite different.

Yes. Who is disagreeing ? But here you are talking about reflected density.

> Would you like me to lend you a copy of Eggleston's 'Sensitrometry for
> Photographers'? It claims to be a comprehensible and practical book for
> photographers!>

What I would like is an extract from your authority that contradicts anything I
have said, remembering the context.

Terry

I raised this as I thought that there might be a point of significance in
relation to our perceptions of prints made using alternative processes. I am not
sure, however, that a discussion on sensitometry is appropriate to the list..