Re: The Aesthetics of Paper

Beakman (beakman@netcom.com)
Fri, 24 May 1996 11:54:48 -0700 (PDT)

> > I just checked a print of my Kodak Step Tablet, and it clearly shows a
> > range of 10 stops on double-coated Platine.
> >
> > David
>
> This tells us that you can print from a negative with a range of densities
> that corresponds to those 10 steps on the tablet. (With my Kodak tablet,
> this would correspond to 9 x .15 or 1.35). _Very_ valuable information when
> you are making the negatives to match the paper.
>
> It tells you (or us) nothing about the tonal range of the prints that you
> produced. For that you would need to use a densitometer on the print.

oops! Forgot to reply to this last bit...

It is very difficult to get an accurate density reading from a print,
however, that said I have measured somewhere in the range of 1.45 for
Dmax if memory serves me correctly. I will double check tonight at
home. Keith has done a lot more density measurents than I have, perhaps
he would like to chime in here.

David