Re: Stouffer step tablets

tomf2468@pipeline.com
Wed, 12 Jun 1996 16:11:28 GMT

On Wed, Jun 12, 1996 2:17:17 PM, Judy Seigel wrote:

>> By the way, I am unable to find the "Stoffer" 1/3 stop (0.1
>> unit) step wedge anywhere, does anyone have a source in the USA??
>
>Stouffer Industries Inc.
>219/234-5023
SNIP<

The phone number was correct, Thank You! I had tried a few years ago to
buy one of these but they wouldn't sell direct at that time. Now they do!
I have a Kodak #3, but for some reason my brain thinks in 1/3 stops and the
Kodak is in 1/2 stops (I know that is neurotic, but artist are allowed to
be).

SNIP> they are $5.50 each.<

The 1/3 stop (31 step) unit is part #T3110, and sells for just under
$14.00US.

>They are crucial in making the negative (to "read" highlight & shadow) as
well in >making the print (to "read" range of the
paper/emulsion/exposure/development >combination).<

Exactly what I use them for, platinum is too expensive (and gum involves
too much time) to waste on a "guess", . I'm going to have to try some of
the one coat gum instructions I've saved from this list (your's I think??).

>I don't see the role or necessity for Zoniness and its Roman Numerals in
>here at all, in fact strikes me as a painful digression -- unless of
>course you're making your negatives directly by large format

Actually I didn't use Roman numerals, I know I'm "incorrect", but I always
forget that. We all use some form of densitometry (spelling???). If we
call it by zones or by steps we are just changing words, not actions.
Don't get me wrong, the "zone nerds" out there with their hand held
computers that tell them what to do bother me also, but a few "nerds" don't
invalidate a working method. And yes, I do shot 85% in camera negatives
(4x5 threw 11x14), with the remaining 15% darkroom enlarged negatives.

>(whoever you are-- no signature on your message!).
>Judy>

Sorry about that, I'm still relatively new at this e-mail / web stuff.
Didn't mean to "hide". Thanks for your reply.

tomf2468@usa.pipeline.com (Tom Ferguson)