Re: Zone System (was: Stouffer step tablets)

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Fri, 14 Jun 1996 21:13:19 -0400 (EDT)

> MJC5@PSU.EDU) (whoever he/she is) wrote:
> As you so correctly point out, the major benefit of the process is to alter
> the contrast by development changes. There is also the ability to expand the
> contrast range within a limited area by placing the exposure for that area
> within the characteristic curves more contrasty(or less) area.

I would assume that an understanding of the H&D curve would suffice.....

> By looking at the scene, and determining that the contrast range requires
> modifications in the development stage so you get the negative that prints like
> you want, and you *are* using the Zone system!

And I suppose when the sun comes up in the morning it's using the zone
system? Negative controls were common long before and entirely independent
of zone system. I think you're doing what might be called a "back
formation."

Judy