Re: physiology vs. sensitometry

Jim Spiri (plyboy@teleport.com)
Tue, 18 Jun 1996 22:13:29 -0700 (PDT)

At 05:32 PM 6/18/96 +1000, Peter Marshall wrote:

>Jim Spiri wrote
>
>> ... The only
>>photographer i can think of whose work loses nothing in reproduction (or
>>gains nothing in original) is Cartier-Bresson. (I like it.)
>
>I think the situation is more complex than either Jim of Pascal suggest.
>There are actually many photographers whose work is better in reproduction.
>
>Many photographers actually worked for reproduction - this would include
>many photojournalists. The original prints they made were not intended for
>viewing but as an intermediate stage in the process that was completed when
>the magazine or paper rolled off the presses.

I'll buy that. We might in cases like that consider the "reproduction" to be
the original, and the print a matrix, like a negative. I once did some
original Xeroxes (oops, it was a Kodak machine- electrostatic dry toner
prints- or whatever the correct term is) using extremely light, flat prints
as a matrix.

Tangentially (i can't hep it)- there were some Weston nudes (including the
cherubic Neil) which were 4x5s originally enlarged to 8x10 and printed in
platinum by EW that George Tice reprinted from the O negs as contact
platinums. It's been a long time but i liked the Tice prints better. ...I
think 5x7 is a great size for "tactile purism" - bigger than the precious
4x5 and smaller than 8x10. At that size you can see both the "image" and the
"print" at the same time (or at least without moving)

I remember a big Ansel retro in NYC. There were two rows of people, close-up
("print") and farther back ("image"). If you left your row you got cut off,
just like driving in NY. You KNOW i was in the close row, being more or less
familiar with the images, but enjoying wandering over the prints... I spent
over an hour in front of two juxtaposed "Aspens", one vintage, one recent,
from the same neg, both "correct" but very different. I learned a lot about
printing that day, but i sure messed up those lines!

Plywood and Rhetoric
graphic design from both sides of the brain
plyboy@teleport.com
http://www.teleport.com/~plyboy
"Momma DID raise a fool"