Re: Density Range

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Sun, 23 Jun 1996 01:38:24 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 23 Jun 1996, Pollmeier Klaus wrote:
> As long as you don't paint your negs you still have to use some kind of contrast
> control. Wether you call it 'zone system' or 'applied sensitometry' makes no
> difference.....

I'm sorry Klaus, you're wrong here. The Zone system is a particular kind
of sensitometry, with its own protocol, terms, and methods. If the term
has spread to mean any use of sensitometric controls at all, that would be
sloppy at best, like saying "whether you call it cooking or lean cuisine
makes no difference." Or, "whether you call it synchronized swim or sports
makes no difference." It makes a difference. Not all sensitometry is Zone
System, although I suppose all Zone System is sensitometry. (If memory
serves, the example in logic class was "all apples are fruit, but not all
fruit is apples.")

Judy