Re: Copy of: Anoraks

Peter Marshall (petermarshall@cix.compulink.co.uk)
Wed, 26 Jun 96 18:06 BST-1

> Peter's explanations are accurate but I do not agree that the language we
use
> should be easy of international understanding. A quick trip to the
dictionary
> helps make the world smaller. I enjoy Jim's personal language and Judy's
> yinglish and Luis's colourful use of local idiom.

Terry I agree wholly with this. But you also prove my point so far as anorak
is concerned in that so far as the dictionary is concerned it will only tell
them it is a garment you pull on over your head and that the work comes from
the eskimo!

So the need for a little restraint, and a little thought about what others
might find in their dictionaries. If you use what to many on the list is
obscure idiom you should add a footnote to explain it - as obviously was
needed from the various responses and I in this case supplied.

Peter Marshall

Fixing Shadows and elsewhere:
http://faraday.clas.virginia.edu/cgi-uva/cgiwrap/~ds8s/Niepce/peter-m.cgi