Copy of: Re: Instructors & Formaldehyde

TERRY KING (101522.2625@CompuServe.COM)
01 Jul 96 04:23:11 EDT

---------- Forwarded Message ----------

From: TERRY KING, 101522,2625
TO: Judy Seigel, INTERNET:jseigel@panix.com
DATE: 01/07/96 09:09

RE: Copy of: Re: Instructors & Formaldehyde

Judy

You say:

>And what do these students think is a gum print? Something you spray and hose?

Judy, there are many ways to make a gum print. They are all right if they
achieve the desired effect. Different personal variations may require different
methods of development. I have found that sponges, hoses, brushes all give the
kind of control at the print making stage that I require. They give creative
flexibility. As auto development does not do so, I do not use it. That is my
choice. If you wish to stick with auto development that is your choice. But
yours is not the only way to make a gum print.

>> As to formadehyde,

>Terry, your implication here seems to be that if we can't buy formaldehyde
>it's due to some ineptitude or poor thinking or general fuddlement on our
>part... But as is so often the case, you appear not to have registered what
ve said ...

>Glyoxal, which is available, much less toxic and dangerous, has no hazard
>charge, is actually cheaper, not unpleasant to use (very little odor, no
>stinging of eyes and throat), DOES THE JOB BETTER, BETTER BETTER. My
>experience with formaldehyde, which is considerable, BTW, is that even the
>next day, paper that was thoroughly dried outdoors when brought into the
>studio outgasses sufficiently to make the eyes & throat burn.

Judy. I never use the stuff because if I put down an undercoat I prefer to use
dichromated gum and I try to use as few unpleasant substances as possible. But
some people wished to know how to obtain formaldehyde and that is their choice,
without paying exorbitant shipping charges. I suggested trying Aldrich as they
are efficient and inexpensive when I deal with them in the UK as they display
what is best in US business practice taking care over essential detail like safe
packaging of 'iffy' materials and being helpful and informative.

>Therefore,smart Americans, in fact smart persons everywhere, will use
>glyoxal. I'm not going to tell you this again.

You don't need to tell me Judy, for as I have said before, often, I use neither
glyoxal nor formaldehyde as my method of making gum prints suits me as it
achieves my objectives efficiently. Remember pterotype and acrylochrome in the
funny name stakes?

What my short time on the net has confirmed is that we are all much the same
wherever we live. And in our alternative field there are smart people all over
the world from whom I have learned a lot.

Terry