Re: Instructors & Formaldehyde

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Tue, 2 Jul 1996 21:43:36 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 2 Jul 1996, Terry King wrote:

> Judy
> When we first met I suggested that
> starting with an unsized paper was a useful approach and you pooh-poohed the
> idea.

Terry, beware, you're having a false-memory syndrome.

As I have declared (and taught) since day one, put in my worksheets,
proclaimed ad nauseum on this list (have you been to the archive?),
written in APR (& repeated in the issue about to come out), to the point
in fact of fearing to sound like a broken record, that many papers will do
at least one coat satisfactorily with no added size (more possible
depending on the gum baume and ratio), that's the only explanation I can
think of for your strange "recollection."

But it is in any event irrelevant to the discussion at hand, which was
about the behavior and effects of ossein in case one does decide to apply
it.

> All I can say Judy is that the ossein does what we ask of it
for carbon tissue, > carbon transfer tissue, gum(as a size),and oil
oigment printing.

My suggestion is that you may be paying a (high) price for its
"usefulness" in gum printing. But pace ... I'm sure 499 people are as
sick of this topic as we are...

Judy