gaslight (was Instructors & Formaldehyde

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Wed, 3 Jul 1996 13:34:00 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 3 Jul 1996, Terry King wrote:

[re unsized paper for gum)

> The maximum I have achieved with Bockingford is six. But for consistency
> of results we both recommend sizing somewhere along the line.

No.

For "consistency of results," you can't, I repeat -- can't -- just size
"somewhere along the line." For consistency of results, you would have to
size at exactly the same point along the line -- and in the same manner.

> Hamlet, Act One, Scene One,Line One ! ! !

Perhaps. I'll look it up. But, more to the point am I *now* to
understand that ossein as paper size requires a hardening coat of
dichromate?

I have your detailed protocol, I made Panix download it (a drama in
itself), I printed it out, I pored over it, I did every last step --
when I could have been writing my congressperson or ironing my husband's
socks.

The heat drying, and the distilled water, the china plate and the
warming the china plate (except the loo window was closed, no I admit
that's a lie, our interior NYC loo doesn't have a window, waste of
valuable air rights). Now where did it say about the dichromate
hardening? Even when I wrote that the *glyoxal* hardening made both
higher-bloom gelatines worse, I don't recall the message ....

(Gaslight, act 1, scene 1, line 1)

Finale: Does or doesn't a coat of ossein at any stage in the printing
process require a hardening coat of dichromate? Always? Sometimes? If
sometimes, when? If it does, what is advantage over Knox hardened with
glyoxal, other than not being available at corner supermarket?

Judy