Re: Enlarged Negatives + Inter Positives for Palladium

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Wed, 10 Jul 1996 12:28:32 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 10 Jul 1996, Albert Strauss wrote:
> A film that you may find much easier to use, is commercial ortho which is a
> continuous ortho film. This film can be developed in almost any print or
> film developer. I have used HC-110 and Dektol with great success and I can
> control the gamma very easily.
>
> Price from Photo Warehouse:
>
> 8x10 25 sheets 31.50
> 11x14 25 sheets 63.75

Al, Janet: Which batch of film you get may be a factor,too. I had trouble
with a pack of 11x14 "commercial" film from Photo Warehouse because it was
too flat! But that's a good reminder -- PWH commercial film is lovely in
other respects (nice thick base) and we seem to forget it in our
preoccupation with Freestyle.

Whatever, less exposure, more development will make a negative or positive
contrastier (look ma, zone system). So first thing comes to mind would be
expose a little less -- though 2-3 seconds exposure is too short to
control. If you can't go to f22, and don't have a neutral density filter,
stick on a variable contrast filter in one of the denser grades --
permitting less exposure without treacherously short times. Then, with
less exposure, use a longer development to punch up the highlights, for a
greater contrast range (the shadows, which don't have the same push of
light as the highlights, won't build up as rapidly).

Also, you haven't said anything about agitation, which can have a great
affect on contrast; think about going up on that if possible. However, I
don't know of any particular affinity between n31p (agfa) and Hc110
(Kodak) and suggest Dektol at least for a try.

Judy