Re: Gum Arabic and Baum

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Thu, 11 Jul 1996 02:35:07 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 11 Jul 1996, Jeff Stanford wrote:
> Water is indeed 0 degrees Baum=E9
> Kristall Gummi 21.5 degrees (strange smelling stuff that never worked)
> Schmincke 20 degrees (very thick)
> Winsor Newton 16 degrees (very good but expensive)
> RBP Chemical Corp. 14 degrees (from Milwaukee, the best I ever used)
> Formulry 13 degrees (bit on the thin side but usable)
> Rembrant Graphic Arts 12.5 degrees (from New Jersey, too thin for me)

Jeff has added nicely to the sum total of human knowledge with list
above. Now if only he or Terry will tell us hygrometer(hydrometer?)less
persons, what and where you get one, we can make our own lists.

It does occur to me to wonder if the hydr/hygrometer is calibrated along
some absolute scale, because I suspect discrepancies between instruments,
or by elevation, or air pressure, or whatever, not to mention latitude &
longitude. How accurate is it? How much liquid do you need to float it?

And Jeff, thank you from the bottom of my heart for sharing my -- let's
call it skepticism -- about gloy... (heh heh).

Judy