Re: UV output

tomf2468@pipeline.com
Mon, 15 Jul 1996 16:58:51 GMT

Hello Glenn, I wondered about this also when building my UV box. Some
simple "visible light" metering, and some experience with "cold lights" for

silver work convinced me that the first 45 seconds or so were "uneven"
(always less light than further into the exposure).

But,,,,, some simple math showed this not to be of much concern. Even if
the first 45 seconds averaged 50% low in output (MUCH more error than I
got), then "in my case" an average exposure of 12:00 would get 96.8 percent

of it's "correct" light (11:15 plus 50 percent of 0:45 equals 11:37).
96.8 percent is equal to a 1/21 (0.048) of a stop error! Don't know about
you, but I can't be that consistent using eye droppers when I mix my
chemicals!?!?

Also, just a few minutes in between exposures cools my tubes off again (I
have a fan in my unit, seemed to help with gum printing), and the process
was thus "repeatable". So..... my advise is to worry about the many things

that do impact your work, and happily ignore this one.

tomf2468@usa.pipeline.com (Tom Ferguson)