Re: Gum Arabic and Baum»

Pascal MIELE (pascal.miele@wanadoo.fr)
Mon, 15 Jul 1996 18:33:19 +0200

Judy wrote:

>> Hydrometer is densimetre (measure liquid density)
>So what do you call a densitometer -- a hydrometer?

Difference between "densitometre" and "densimetre":

Put the two instuments in water, the "densimetre" is floating (fluctuat n=
ec
mergitur)
the "densitometre" is... out of order :-)

>OK, seriously, I'm wondering what folks who have one think -- is this li=
ttle
>instrument worth the trouble to acquire and house for one whose
>scientific excursions extend only into gum printing? Some gizmos are
>worthless unless you get the deluxe high end model...

Maybe a densitometer is a good way to don't use zone system but sensitome=
try
(Sensito is a kind of ZS without errors)

>> Density change with temperature, a good densimeter is calibrated for
>> a specific temp. But any precise measure (length, weigth...) is correc=
>> only with precise operating conditions.
>
>I guess my question is *how* incorrect it would be when studio temp goes
>up or down 10 degrees F. Would the information be still in ballpark for
>printing purposes or meaningless?

It's a very good question, after a long search in my documentation...
I have just this answer: the specific density (Beaum=E9) change with
temperature (no atmospheric pressure) but how much, no reponse !

Pascal MIELE Atelier photographique MIELE
------------ 8 place P. et M. CURIE
64150 MOURENX FRANCE