Re: Gum Bichromate Kit from Photo. Formulary

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Sat, 20 Jul 1996 00:05:58 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 20 Jul 1996 Gumprint@aol.com wrote:
> Perhaps you are after a single emulsion. I have been
> making gums since 1978 and have not made a successful single emulsion yet.

Honest, single emulsion is not that difficult, especially on Rives BFK. I
suspect you have a consistent factor that's undoing you .... and I would
point finger of suspicion first at ...... the chrome alum *in* the
gelatine, and/or those 3 coats of size. (Although it's also possible
you're not using a high enough proportion of gum, or a heavy enough gum.)

Haven't I noticed these last few weeks that several people with staining
problems mentioned chrome alum or formalin *in* the gelatine? In any
event, try hardening with glyoxal as an afterbath, or with dichromate, or
try the BFK with no added gelatine at all (virgin paper, one coat) and see
if it stains the same way.

Another possible one-coat impediment might be the negatives. To get a
lively print in one coat (ie, not flat & muddy or lacking highlight
detail) you need a negative of the same number of steps as the emulsion
will print.

There is a lot about this, BTW, many good details & explanations, and
lots about light sources in, you should pardon the expression, the A-----e.

> I do not understand your question regarding leaving the darkroom. Please
> elaborate.

Don't print gum in the darkroom,it's too depressing and surely unhealthful
to be in the dark breathing stopbath that much. Print gum (and all
non-silver) in the real world, by ordinary roomlight, in a "studio",
workroom, atelier. If necessary evict a relative & take their room.

> I ... hand size each piece with 3 gelatin/chrome alum baths. I
> bought a ream of it in 1980 and figure I won't use it up for another 20
> years. I weigh the pigments on a gram scale and use syringes to measure the
> gum arabic. It's important that I be able to duplicate results. But that's
> just me.

I agree 100% about duplicating results, tho to some extent in my life
that's more wish than reality. One factor not so controllable (at least
not by me) is temperature and humidity.

As for paper, I'm always chasing the magic paper (not yet found), and have
some I prefer to BFK for their smoothness -- but none is as generally
safe, clean, loyal, obedient and hardworking as BFK. However, it stains
with some combinations of size and color. I did a series of tests this
spring with the different gelatines & BFK was not good. (And did I mention
that the more gelatine the more staining in many cases?)

I know you still don't believe me. OK, for one-coat gum try: Rowney
gouache jet black as pigment, and equal parts water, heavy gum, and
saturated ammonium dichromate for the rest of the mix... good one-coat
gums, honest, on all kinds of fresh (never wet) paper from Plover bond (or
other rag content typing paper) to Strathmore bristol drawing to BFK.

Judy