Pigment types Was: Re: gum world cont (4)

Luis Nadeau (awef6t@mi.net)
Tue, 23 Jul 1996 23:20:41 +0300

..

Judy writes:

>The first yellow I used was Winsor yellow, and the separate sample under
>the 21-step looked rather green. I concluded therefore that it wasn't any

Yellow+uncleared exposed dichromate will look green.

>good -- and *yet* it looked OK in the print -- to my novice eye. The next
>yellow I used was the next one I grabbed, Rowney medium yellow, as I
>recall, & it looked good, too. Hence my "overgeneralization." However, I

It has been quite a while since I used those commercial pigments, but I
seem to recall that both W&N and Rowney provided the chemical names for
them --or at the very least the trade names. My book on gum may have them.

It is a very good habit to indicate the chemical names, e.g., chrome
yellow, cadmium yellow, etc., so that those who don't have access to the
exact brand you are using can find a substitute.

Remember also that with W&N and Rowney, among others, you are paying for
the name and high distribution costs. Generic chemicals are considerably
cheaper.

Luis Nadeau
awef6t@mi.net
Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada