Re: Ball milling pigments

Terry King (101522.2625@CompuServe.COM)
30 Jul 96 12:00:15 EDT

Millers

Charles Berger wrote:
:We are also dispersing the pigments in some sort of medium (water,
:oil,etc). And this is exactly why ball milling your own pigments
>makes sense. Because you can control what stuff is added to the
>pigment to make it flow or glisten or whatever. That is why a W/N
>watercolor pigment in a tube is not the same (for the purposes of
>emulsion formulation) as its dry powder ("pan') equivalent.

Patently they are not the same. For consistent technical and aesthetic quality
the W & N tube will give results that are at least as good and probably better
than pigments produced from do it youself grinding.

If people want to spend time in grinding their own pigments then that is their
choice. But the purpose of this contribution is to dissuade any neophyte from
thinking that ball milling is necessary to make a good gum print.

Terry King