Paper for Pigment Tissue was: Homemade Pigment Tissue?

Flesch Ba'lint (100263.262@CompuServe.COM)
30 Jul 96 20:24:28 EDT

>From: petermarshall@cix.compulink.co.uk(Peter Marshall)Date: Mon, 29 Jul 96

About pros and cons of pigment tissue base papers.

>You do not need a paper like this for making the pigment tissue - you need a
>porous paper with good wet strength. Plain paper used for lining walls (that
>DIY* store I mentioned again) fits the bill pretty well perfectly and has the
>added advantage of being very cheap.

Thank you for this idea, I will try next time.

>> The printing house used pigment papers had a solvent
>>soluble (water proof) layer on the backside of paper (true ResinCoated :-)
>>which was removable before water-developing. Good old times. >>

>I would have thought that any resin coating would simply have made
>the process more difficult if not impossible.

Obviously this paper is NOT the modern, well known, plastic sandwiched RC
paper, this type properly worked for a long time in printing houses...

As I mentioned earlier I used normal drawing paper (as a porous one) and
photopaper base material. These are two ways with different problems.

Porous paper.
Advantages: Fast, easy remove by transfer. Cheap.
Disadvantages: Slow drying after sensitisation beacuse the paper using a
lot of chemical (environment, expenses), the surface not as a smooth like
a factory made one (sharpness decrease).

Photographic paper (base, no coating or layers).
Advantages: Faster drying, the paper do not drinking the chemicals, smooth
surface (dry to glossy is also possible), maximal sharpness.
Disadvantages: Slow transfer (difficult to remove from tissue in the water),
expensiver.

The old timer "RC" is collected only the advantages from these lists. I wish
to find a similar way.

- Balint Flesch - Archaist/conservation photographer. - Budapest/Hungary. -