Re: Paper for Pigment Tissue was: Homemade Pigment Tissue?

Peter Marshall (petermarshall@cix.compulink.co.uk)
Wed, 31 Jul 96 11:55 BST-1

Balint

<< Disadvantages: Slow drying after sensitisation beacuse the paper using a
<<lot of chemical (environment, expenses)

Drying is rapid as it can occur from both sides. The chemicals used are
cheap (gelatine, sugar, pigment). The paper is fairly thin so it doesn't
absorb much dichromate either, and dries quickly at this stage too. So these
disadvantages do not apply.

>> the surface not as a smooth like
a factory made one (sharpness decrease). >>

The surface is created by a liquid gelatine setting and so is smooth. I
don't think there is any loss in sharpness involved. Possibly there is a
loss in sharpness when any developed tissue is transferred to a rough
surface paper for the final print - but this is not a feature of making your
own tissue.

The advantages I found which you have missed is that you can vary both the
colour and the quantity of pigment. The prints I made from commercial tissue
look somewhat anaemic compared to those on homemade paper.

Peter Marshall

On Fixing Shadows, Dragonfire and elsewhere:
http://faraday.clas.virginia.edu/cgi-uva/cgiwrap/~ds8s/Niepce/peter-m.cgi
Family Pictures & Gay Pride: http://www.dragonfire.net/~gallery/