Re: Printing on copper

Albert Strauss (a.strauss@worldnet.att.net)
Thu, 1 Aug 1996 00:17:13 +0000

At 03:10 PM 7/31/96 +0000, you wrote:
>Hi Jack:
>
>I did something kinda like that once, might give you some ideas to explore.
>
>I transferred laserprint toner to copper sheet and was able to use it as an
>etching resist. Results were pretty funky, but i never went very far with
>it; with big solid areas should work pretty well...

Years ago, Xerox made a system for producing prototype PC boards. It worked
in a similar fashion to their selenium drum copiers.

A selenium plate was charged and the image projected on it. It was then
dusted with a photo-resist type toner which was transferred to a copper
plate which was then baked to fuse it. The resist was strong enough to permit
a strong acid etch. Perhaps they still make this system or at least still
supply this toner - resist powder.

Al