Re: Pigment types (and order)

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Fri, 2 Aug 1996 01:22:58 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 2 Aug 1996, Peter Charles Fredrick wrote:

> OK from my Wilcox bible quotes :-- Rowney Permanent Yellow seems a strange
> name when one considers the fugitive pigment employed. most unreliable.ASTM
> 5 L'fast generic name PY1Arylide Yellow G (P. 29)

Peter I don't understand the notation above. How is PY1 Arylide Yellow G
different from the Arylide Yellow 10g ASTM index PYS you give below as
"Hansa yellow light." ?

However, we have here an illustration of why I have resisted the Wilcox book,
excellent as its notices are. The information I've gotten so far from the
incomplete documentation the retail store had on hand was that the Rowney
Permanent Yellow #664 was *probably* Barium yellow. I have the Rowney 800
number but they were closed by the time I called; I'll try again tomorrow.
Meanwhile, the tube has got 3 stars for permanence -- the highest rating
is 4, but 3 is good to very good. If we cannot trust those ratings --
within a reasonable range, of course -- then we are indeed at sea.

So whom shall I believe? In this case I would *tend* to believe the
manufacturer, because #1, I assume Wilcox got the chemical info from them
to begin with so if they're *lying* they lied to him as well as in their
brochure, and #2, even if the R. perm yellow once was this bad fugitive
pigment, companies change their product without permission or
notification. Their info then is likely to be more uptodate. (What is the
publication date of the Wilcox?)

> That is all I have got at the moment, but I am still searching for the
> perfect transparent yellow pigment , anybody out there got anymore
> information ?

I have a brochure from an American company, Gamblin, which as I recall
lists another new synthetic yellow. I think I can locate this brochure.
More tomorrow ....

Judy