Printing on silver Was: Re: Printing on copper

Luis Nadeau (awef6t@mis.ca)
Fri, 2 Aug 1996 10:56:11 -0300

Terry King writes:

>Last year I had a student from Taiwan who wanted to make photographs on silver
>bars.

Speaking of printing on silver bars:

Under "Chromo-Lithography", in my Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 66:

"...one variation is still being used (1987) by an Italian company:
Italsilver. A pure sheet of sterling silver is thoroughly cleansed in an
untra-sonic bath... and delicately coated with a protective film...
positioned under a star-press printer fitted with special lithographic
rollers, where it is hand-rolled at least five times as the various colors
are applied. Marine scenes by John M. Horton have been offered as limited
editions by this process."

One could say that this is an edition worth its weight in silver...

Luis Nadeau
awef6t@mis.ca
http://www.mi.net/dialin/awef6t/