Re: Ur

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Sun, 11 Aug 1996 21:31:41 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 11 Aug 1996, Terry King wrote:
> Judy said :
>
> >(And the prefix "ur" has exactly the same meaning it has in
> >English, n'est-ce pas?)
>
> Er........ Since when has 'ur' been an English prefix ? Archetypal or primitive
> fine but the only 'ur' prefix in English refers to urine.

Since 1955, if not earlier. My "Webster's New International Dictonary of
the English Language," 2nd Edition, unabridged, 1955, gives "Ur" as a
prefix, "signifiying primitive, primeval, original, as in Ur-Hamlet."
(From the German, of course.)

My-brother-the-word-maven confirms my sense that the usage has become
increasingly common "in English," but adds that it often takes a while til
dictionaries include these things. If you have access to a recent Random
House edition, try that, as he says they're pretty good at being uptodate.

Judy